As a professional landscaping company we understand the damage a storm can have on your home, trees, and landscaping. We wanted to put a together a list to give you an idea of ways to prevent damage to your home & property before the hurricane hits.
- Trim back dead limbs or any tree limbs within 5 feet of the roof of your home or directly above the home – During high winds these limbs can rub shingles off or break and puncture a hole in your roof. Even a small hole can cause serious monetary damage from water slowly leaking into the ceiling of your home. Prevention is cheaper and less time consuming than repair to your home later. Loose limbs can also fall on free standing water spickets in your yard and cause a serious water bill (in the hundreds) to hit your house if you don’t catch it and repair it quickly.
- Cut down dead or damaged trees that can fall onto your home – Even healthy trees can get pushed over from high winds, especially if there has been enough rain beforehand to soften up the soil. If there is a dead tree close to your home that you have been ignoring for years, this is your chance to take it down before the hurricane knocks it down. We recommend hiring someone like us if you aren’t comfortable doing this.
- Where is your car parked? Ideally you should have your vehicle parked in a garage or at least a covered porch or metal structure. If you don’t have either make sure it is NOT parked underneath a tree. An open area is much safer for it.
- Move outdoor loose items indoors – Items to think about – patio furniture, porch swings, portable fire pits, & even lock outdoor sunscreen doors. Remove pool covers that can be easily punctured. If you can’t bring them indoors flip them upside down and put some type of weight on them to make it harder for them to fly away.
- Brace your garage doors – The weakest point of most houses from high winds is not the roof, it’s the garage door, the pulling and pushing of the wind can easily compromise most garages
BONUS – Do a quick video walk through of the outside and inside of your home with a smartphone. This way you have something to show an insurance company if something does happen.
At Northwest Florida Landscaping we also offer services to help you during this time like:
- down tree removal
- debris handling services
- boarding up windows
- debris hauling and removal (best done before the hurricane hits to stop flying projectiles into your home).
If you have any questions or want a free quote call us today at (850) 736-5738. We look forward to helping you in any way possible in the Pensacola, Milton FL areas and we fully service all of Escambia, Santa Rosa, and Okaloosa counties.